MHKY | Voyageurs Outlast Gaels

MHKY | Voyageurs Outlast Gaels
The Laurentian Voyageurs played against the Queens Gaels this Saturday night in Sudbury Ontario.
The Voyageurs were coming into this game after a big win against the Royal Military College the previous night giving the Vees big energy and confidence to play against the Gaels. 
This evening's matchup had tensions high and both teams offensive legs pumping as a total of ten goals were scored between both teams. 
The Voyageurs Michael Giugovaz stopped a total of thirty-seven shots from the Gaels offence and Jack Flinn the Gaels net-minder would stop a total of thirty-three saves.
After a tense first half of the first period the Voyageurs Hayden Hopkins would be sent on a one on one from his defence Jayme Forslund. Hopkins would then beat the Gael defender on the outside and deke an unexpecting Flinn for a short handed goal and opening the scoring for the Voyageurs.
With just ten seconds left in the first period the Gaels would tie the match up as Slater Dogget would beat Giugovaz over his shoulder and make the match up tied going into the second frame. 
The second period scoring started late as with just ten minutes left in the second period Derek Varrin would receive a cross crease pass from his line-mate Luke McCaw for a tap in on the Gaels giving them a 2-1 lead. 
Just three minutes later Russel Nowry would beat Flinn again on the power play. Russel Nowry's goal would be assisted by Luke McCaw and Marc Antoine-Gagnon.
With .5 seconds left Nicolas Dionne would be left unattended in the Gaels zone where he would tap in a fantastic back door pass from Kaden Ruest and the Voyageurs would go up 4-1 to end the second frame. 
The Gaels offence would get started early in the period as they were well aware they would need to get started early to make up for the deficit. Duncan Campbell would be awarded a fantastic power play opportunity where he would capitalize on the Voyageurs Giugovaz and cut the Voyageurs lead in half. 
Just six minutes later Kaden Ruest would extend the Voyageur lead after Luke McCaw would win the face-off back to Ruest who would then beat Flinn shortside over the shoulder from the point. Ruest goal would give the Voyageurs a 5-2 lead. 
The Gaels would then score two back to back goals in just eight minutes and close the scoring gap rapidly making for a one goal game. 
In a last minute attempt to tie this match up the Voyageurs would capitalize on the Queens empty net as Derek Varrin would pot his second goal of the night and the finisher. 
Varrin's goal would make the final score 6-4 and give the Voyageurs two wins this weekend and a total of five points. 
The Voyageurs will play this coming Tuesday February 5th against the Nipissing Lakers on the Voyageurs 'School Day Game'.
Sam Brooks